Benhayon v Rockett case updates March April 2016Posted: March 12, 2016
25 April: Funding within reach. Help me get this over the line!
14 March: donating and contacting anonymously. My appreciation
3 March 2016: Serge Benhayon v Esther Rockett defence filed with Supreme Court NSW – summary below
Or contact me to donate or make a loan
25 April – help me make the final yards
My defence is just short of being fully funded. Can you make a loan or a donation to help me take the best possible defence to court? It’s an exciting time. A very robust defence for this groundbreaking public interest case is within reach. Can you help me get it there?
All loans and donations are made confidentially. Loan agreements are made in writing.
This is your chance to do something for child safety, patient protection and free speech. Please help if you can.
14 March – staying anonymous
Answering some questions about anonymity.
Contact with me is confidential!
If you’re very worried, create a private email account under a pseudonym that only you can access. Webmail is best for this, via gmail, or hotmail etc. You then log in online to check for replies. If you’re not sure how to do that – google it or leave an anon comment here and I’ll run through how to do it.
Smartphones usually have a setting where you are able to block your phone number if you want to call me.
To be clear, I’m only interested in outing cult recruiters & other members of Serge’s hierarchy of parasites. I do not expose anyone who contacts me – I’ve lost count of how many people have – but it’s well over a hundred.
I’m happy to remove names from the naming names page if the person is no longer promoting UM.
However, I will expose anyone who attempts to bully or harass me.
Some donors have contacted me directly by email or phone for my bank details and made a direct deposit via internet banking or at bank. No names appear on my bank statement. Others have donated in cash or by cheque.
The crowdfunding page can take anonymous donations. I don’t see any credit card details at all – no names. It will show on your credit card statement though.
The crowdfund site needs you to enter your details on two forms. One for display and the other is the credit card details. For the first, use a false name or ‘Anonymous’ and either a fake email address or one you can access privately – the site uses it to send a receipt. The credit card details are confidential. I don’t see any CC details – no names or numbers.
The crowdfund site doesn’t allow me to extend campaigns or change target amounts. So if the campaign has expired the most recent update posts as I have probably commenced a new fund.
Many of you know that at the beginning of media coverage UM attributed all the negative coverage to ‘a few disgruntled males’. Esoteric genius Mark Twist visited my site to tell me so when I started blogging. Sexist much?
In the last couple of years it was narrowed further to Lance and I generating all the comments on my blogs. None of you exist according to the clairsentient Sons of God.
The more UM have harassed us, the more support we’ve gained. Remember when I used to blog under a pseudonym? I did it to separate my activism from my professional life. Benhayon’s litigation is pushing public support of me and this cause to new heights. It’s brought more new contact from those of you adversely affected than ever. Some of you remember that last year I announced I could do no more to expose UM. I’d done what I could in terms of official complaints and blogging. I didn’t want to be identified with UM scum any longer and was moving on to other projects. Any elevation of my public profile since then has been thanks to Serge and his genius propagandists and legal advisors.
If Benhayon was serious about improving his crap reputation he’d stop publishing and start staying away from the human race.
When this gets to trial, UM’s Sons of God will discover the court is just as critical of his bullshit, sleaze and rorts as I am. But I can predict the *Facts* battalion will paint it as some sort of ‘religious persecution’ and ‘miscarriage of justice’ as every cult does whenever they’re shown up by the courts. UM will take it further and extrapolate Benhayon’s judicial comeuppance to a comparison with the violent extermination of the Cathars. Serge has been building up that fiction for at least 12 years.
Success in this litigation is not something I can manage alone. Not by a long shot. I need help. I’d like to extend my heartfelt thanks to those who have given support – in whatever form. I know many of you have made sacrifices. I know some of you can’t afford to give at all, but you have made contact and offered your kindness and encouragement. I assure you it all helps. Please don’t apologize if you can’t do more. If we all do what we can we’ll get there.
Defences filed February 29
Defamation is legal provided the person making the statements has legal defences for making them. I only need one of the defences to succeed for Benhayon’s case to fail. I will take the following to trial:
- Justification – statements I made were substantially true
- Honest opinion and fair comment – statements I made were fair and honest based on proper materials
- Interests of readers (Qualified Privilege) – the publications were of interest to my readers. My readers have had dealings or may have dealings in future with UM and their front organizations; a number of readers have loved ones involved in the group, including children. Statements I made were in reply to attacks on me and I had a social and moral duty to publish information and opinions regarding practices, teachings and behaviours according to my research and personal experience of Benhayon that are in the public interest.
- Contextual truth -Benhayon is claiming have damaged his reputation and business with a few statements I made and questions I raised about his conduct with women and juveniles, however I made a number of other defamatory statements regarding his aberrant character and behaviour. If all or most of those other statements are found to be substantially true his claim will fail, because the truth of the contextual imputations will be found to be the cause of any damage to his reputation.
It is only one of my defences, and although it is the most costly and time consuming, it’s vital for the court to view the claimed defamatory imputations in context. The contextual imputations are very serious, and I am able to bring a large amount of evidence to prove their substantial truth:
- engages in misleading conduct in promoting UM;
- makes false claims about healing that cause harm;
- is delusional;
- is exploitative;
- is a liar;
- preys on cancer patients;
- engages in inappropriate conduct towards women;
They are not part of Benhayon’s defamation claim because he knows I have ample evidence to prove they are true.
The defence was filed late due to the large amount of evidence my lawyers had to review and a couple of other delays:
- First hearing 6 May will hear some objections to our defence and set a date for trial.
- Trial likely between August and December 2016. It’s likely to last for four to eight weeks.
- A jury trial will deliver a judgement almost immediately. A judge only trial may take three to six months after the trial to hand down a judgement.
- Serge Benhayon has claimed I’ve damaged his reputation and business in five publications – one blog post, three comments on that same post and one tweet. He’s seeking to hold me liable for damages.
- He’s claiming his reputation has been damaged by statements I made regarding his conduct with women and children.
National & international significance
- The court will establish whether a member of the public can raise justifiable concerns over the welfare of women and children without being held liable for defamation.
- The case will publicly raise the question of whether it’s a legitimate defamation claim or a wealthy individual using his financial resources to censor public interest information exposed by someone with few resources.
- Unprecedented scrutiny of a cult leader’s reputation, behaviour and background, and scrutiny of a secretive and dishonest group.
- Of intense interest to the press, the legal profession, welfare and human rights groups – as well as the public and those directly affected by UM.
Universal Law solicitors of Mullumbimby
Benhayon hasn’t been receiving advice from his senior counsel. Rather, his son’s parents in law, Universal Law solicitors, who normally deal with family law, bequests and petty crime, have handled the claim so far. Benhayon can afford better legal advice and he obviously isn’t getting it.
- Target is $120K total (update March 2016 – we are close to reaching that target via donations and loans. Thank you to all who’ve helped! Please help me get the rest of the way to trial.)
- A successful litigant is commonly awarded 70-75% of costs.
- I’m seeking to fund up to 70% of my defence via loans
- I can repay loans in full if and when I’m awarded costs and provided the award amounts to at least 70% of costs.
- Loan agreements are made in writing.
- Loan agreements are confidential.
- If costs awarded do not cover all the loans, I will repay each lender in proportion to the total costs awarded.
- I will fund the remainder with donations and what’s left of my personal funds.
- The progress of raising loans won’t be made public because Benhayon appears to be holding out with his claim in the hope I won’t raise the funds.
THANK YOU to all who’ve lent and donated so far.
Finally, the response to Benhayon’s success in the McIntyre will case was universal disgust at taking funds from a family who needs them more than he does. It made news in Australia, the UK and US. This case will attract more attention again.
Help me put Serge on the stand and have him answer the evidence against his delusions, dishonesty and his Esoteric ‘healing’ fraud. Donate or Lend please.